Sunday, July 27, 2008

What I've been up to lately...

The past few weeks in DC have been great. I did some site seeing, went to Delaware, went to some museums. I've also had time to work on my newly acquired hobby, crochet, and have been reading quite a bit. Here is a little more about what I've been up to.


My roommate Erin and I went to Georgetown for a nice walk after work one day. Here we are standing by the Potomac.

I went to Mt. Vernon, George Washington's estate, with a group of U interns. Mt. Vernon is a huge property with a prime location looking over the Potomac. The estate consists of several gardens, a large farm, and a couple of buildings that make up George Washington's house.

Here is George Washington's main house.

There were several animals on the property including cows, pigs, sheep, horses, and donkeys!

I took a walk around Georgetown with Stanley a few weekends ago. We walked from Foggy Bottom metro all the way to the University and back. This picture along with the following two were taken by Stanley.

There is a canal that goes through Georgetown, it is pretty neat. Stanley and I walked along the path visible to the right. There are all sorts of bridges that cross over the canal and cool apartments and old buildings that look over it.

Here is one of the older buildings that make up Georgetown University.


Here I am near the Potomac. The bridge in the background is the Francis Scott Key bridge, i believe.


Last weekend my Dad met me at the New Carolton Metro station and we drove back to Delaware. It was a short trip but it was nice to spend time with the fam. The drive to Delaware, if traffic is good, should take about an hour and a half. In order to get there, you have to drive over a super long bridge near Annapolis, Maryland. It is so beautiful!

I went to the premier of the Dark Night the night before i went to Delaware, so I didn't get much sleep. I slept most of the way there and the rest of the night.

This is the only picture I could get of the bridge that shows a good portion of its length.


Delaware is a gorgeous state. It was such a nice break from the city. On the way to Dover after crossing the Bay Bridge, it is mostly farm country. There were numerous corn fields and other crops.

On Saturday morning my Dad and Uncle and I went to this beach, I forgot what it is called, on Delaware Bay. It was a lot less crowded than Rehoboth, the beach we went to my last trip. There were people fishing and crabbing off of the long pier, and only one person actually laying out on the sand.

After we went to the beach, we drove to Bombay Hook, a nature preserve. It was soo pretty. We saw all sorts of animals I had never seen before. Ibises, cranes, herons. It was great.


Here are some Ibises. There was also corn growing in Bombay Hook.

On Saturday night my dad's cousin from Canada came over to my Grandma's to visit with his family. They were touring around US history sites. It was nice to meet some really extended family, hopefully I'll see them again soon.

This weekend wasn't very eventful. I wasn't feeling too well so I spent a lot of time at home reading and crocheting. I did, however, make it out to see the Jim Henson exhibition at the Smithsonian International Gallery. It was probably one of the best exhibits I've ever been too. They didn't allow photography, but i snook this picture with my camera phone.

I made it a goal to read a book every two weeks, I've done ok so far, but I still have a few more I want to read before school begins. Here are some of the ones I've read this summer.

This book is mostly pictures, but I really liked it. It has a bunch of artwork and writings by Palestinians.
This is a great book about the history of Hezbollah in Lebanon.

This book was quite tedious to read, however I recommend it to anyone interested in detainee treatment laws in Guantanamo Bay.
This is the best book I've read this summer. It is about how the world shifted after the fall of the Soviet Union and how the US chose to behave after becoming the world's sole superpower.

I finished this book this weekend, It was really good. I saw the movie in the Spring and really enjoyed it. As usual, the book gives a lot more details than the movie.


I've tried to pick up some hobbies while I've been in DC. The only one I've really been working on, however, is teaching myself how to crochet. I am still not very good, but I'm getting there! I've taught myself a few stitches and now I want to learn how to make a case for my ipod.



I found this book at Border's this weekend. It is the next hobby I'll be working on. The book instructs on creating stuffed animals from socks and gloves. The animals are really cute! I can't wait to get started!

Overall the last few weeks have been great. I have less than three weeks in DC! But I am ready to come home.

No comments: