Thursday, June 14, 2007

ni hao!

I was trying really hard to figure out how to write hello in Arabic. I couldn't quite figure it out so i just settled for a ni hao instead. haha.

I am currently in Washington DC for orientation for the critical language scholarship program going to Amman, Jordan. There i will be learning Arabic at the university of Jordan for the next two months. I decided mostly to write this blog for myself, kind of as an online journal since i can type a lot faster than i can write by hand, and it hursts a lot less. and also for my friends and family back home who are curious as to what I'm doing over here in Jordan.

Yesterday was my first day away from Utah. I landed in the Dulles international airport after a four hour flight. It really wasn't a long flight in comparison to the flights I'm use to taking to Singapore. I slept mostly and read a bit out a book Bruce let me borrow called Understanding Arabs. The book seems pretty interesting and i think it will help a lot in interacting with the Jordanians.

The cab ride from the airport to the hotel took about an hour. The weather was terrible. It rained and hailed so much. I am use to heavy rain because i normally visit Singapore during the monsoon season, but this rain was unlike any i have ever seen. The inside of the taxi even started leaking. It was intense. After arriving at the hotel i found out that there was a tornado warning issued near the Dulles area. And many of the other students coming to Jordan with me had delayed flights, some of them didn't even arrive until the next morning.

Orientation today was useful and interesting but also very long. I am excited though to be in DC. It is my first time here so i can't wait to go see some monuments and the Smithsonian. Well anyway, for all of you back home, don't call my cellphone for the next two months. The best way to contact me is through email. My address is amanda.t.barrett@gmail.com

5 comments:

Bashar said...

somehow i came across your blog... its nice :)

hello in arabic is marhaba

i think you will like it in Jordan, it depends on how you see and view things

if you want to know anything about jordan then im glad to help :)

Cairo @ Istanbul said...

jordan is nice city, have fun : )

tommyteo said...

hi amanda your blog is awesome. you got to teach me how to set up my own blog. please beware of people you communicate with over the internet.

Matthew Bryce said...

Wow. CYO! Check you out! I wish I were in DC studying the Middle East. I'll definitely check out this blog often!

Anonymous said...

We aim at providing solid products as well as services To buyers on a global basis.[url=http://www.reactchem.com/]Glycerol Triacetate[/url] is an artificial chemical compound, commonly occupied as a foodstuff additive, being instance a warm or hot environment a solvent to flavourings, and for its humectant function, using E amount E1518 as well as Australian approval code A1518. [url=http://www.reactchem.com/]Glycerol Triacetate[/url] is as well a component of casting liquor via TG and also as an excipient to pharmaceutical models where it is frequented a warm or hot environment a humectant, a plasticizer, as well as a warm or hot environment a solvent